World Travel Awards has announced its Europe 2021 winners. Greece, with its resurgent travel and tourism economy, was voted ‘Europe’s Leading Destination’.
Greek Tourism Minister Vassilis Kikilias commented on the win, said “Greece managed the pandemic and followed medical and travel protocols in the best possible way, proving to the world that it is the most beautiful but also the safest destination. This international award for 2021 comes to confirm that when it comes to tourism we are champions in quality and the travel experience.” He further expressed that Greece’s tourist season has been extended to November.
Furthermore, the Greek Region of Attica has been announced Europe’s Leading Seaside Metropolitan Destination at the World Travel Awards (WTA) 2021, for its unique offers of coastal destinations and diverse tourism products:
– an international airport awarded for its safety features
– luxury hotels and accommodation options for all budgets
– the Acropolis, one of the most significant world heritage sites
– Blue Flag awarded beaches located within a 15-minute drive from the city center
– dozens of islands accessible by ferry through Piraeus – one of Europe’s leading ports
– access to the coastal zone through a state-of-the-art tram line
– a variety of dining and entertainment venues at impressive marinas
– numerous gastronomy options on the Athenian Riviera and a wide selection of wines from renowned vineyards
– a combination of mountain and seaside destinations
– top-notch cultural performances